On She Goes

What does it mean to belong?

Home Community We Belong Here What does it mean to belong?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Amy Lam Amy Lam 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Meron Medhanie
    Meron Medhanie
    Keymaster

for me, we belong here means being able to move freely in the world and navigate every space I enter with a sense of comfort. That comfort comes from confidence in who I am, but it also comes from being in environments that welcome my difference. I know I can’t control the environments I enter, but I don’t want to miss out on experience a thing or place because I’m not welcomed. I LOVE what Jessamyn Stanley (yogi) said about belonging – it completely changed my views on where I belong.

“whenever you’re the only one of something, it’s so easy to think that you’re not supposed to be there.”

this was so powerful for me! i’m not going to let being the only one stop me from entering spaces where I don’t see myself. Someone was the “only one” in a space at point in our human evolution and the choice to believe that she belongs is why our world looks like it does.

Anyone feel the same way? 

Amy Lam
    Amy Lam
    Keymaster

Yes! I’ve def felt a sense of unease when I’m the only person who looks like me in a space. It can be tough to balance *taking up space* or wanting retreating back into oneself. But I just keep forging ahead because, like you, why should I have to miss out on experiences just because I hadn’t done it before!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.